When Gavin was in diapers, I always dreaded the daily trek to the massive trash can with my Publix bag filled with diapers... my thoughts were "I cannot believe that this plastic bag, filled with non-biodegradable diapers is going to sit in a landfill for years and years..." and "UGH!!! Look at ALL this MONEY I am throwing away!" It made me sick.. both thoughts.
I wanted to do cloth diapers, but I was scared and unaware... but as the saying goes "if I knew then what I know now" I would have not blinked twice about it!
I told Ryan. when I was pregnant with Caden that I wanted to used cloth diapers... his first reaction as "the ones with the pins?!" Which is what I thought first too.. before I was "schooled" in the world of cloth diapers. It's so easy today... with pocket diapers, "all in one" diapers, pre-folds and cute covers! I was in diaper heaven!
I bought all my diapers with on ebay or Craig's List and probaly spent around $300 total.. many of the diapers are the "one size" option... so he will wear them until he's potty trained. Now, let's do the math... disposables are about $20 a pack + 52 weeks in one year= OVER $1,000!! Seriously, money down the drain, or should I say "in the trash"! When we're done with the diapers, I can sell them for about half of what I bought them for! It just makes more sense...
Then we get the "you WASH them? in your washing machine? what about the, uh.. poop?" And my answer is YES! It's so easy and takes NO time... I have a schedule where I was them every other day... cold wash with soap and then a hot water rinse with vinegar and lie dry. The sun bleach any stains that we have. It doesn't really add anything extra to my day and I feel good about it.
Also, Caden has not had ONE rash with the cloth diapers and very few (I can count on ONE hand) leaks... opposed the the disposables that he has worn. Like Ryan said "it's like drying yourself with a paper towel verses a towel..." Needless to say, Ryan is 100% on board. :)
3 comments:
Wow! That is awesome! Very inspiring....
Come up and get me started!!
Aunt Kee Kee is VERY happy that you allow her regular diapers on date nights with Caden and Gavin... I LOVE you are doing this but this single city girl just can't stomach it. : )
Very good thinking Katy. I am proud of you doing this. Your Mom never had a throw away diaper on and we did have to use the pins. No regrets. Love Maw-maw.
Post a Comment